Friday, March 18, 2011

I was delayed, I was waylaid

It's my birthday in four days. And for the first time in my 22 years I look old. I don't need to tell anyone that I feel old, because I was born with the temperament of a forty-year old and we've always known that. When I turned thirteen I was wondering when it would be socially acceptable again to wear the evening away with weak tea and a one day rental. Now I have the appearance to pull off "grown-up" but none of the accessories. I feel a bit cheated, like I bought Dr. Barbie but her stethoscope and pink dream ambulance are sold separately.

Wednesday my ability to vie for Teach for America pipedream was taken out of my hands. I made it through THE LETTER OF INTEREST, I made it through THE ONLINE TEST, I made it through the 45 minute long PHONE INTERVIEW, and good God, I was invited to the big boss of TFA: THE FINAL INTERVIEW. Can you believe it?

So I surmounted my spurts of gagging in the car ride there, and managed to find the room without any anxiety puke on my JCPenny suit. There were about 8 other interviewees there, and they were from big name schools like Penn and Notre Dame. They were all very eloquent and friendly and lovely and well dressed. And I wanted to feel like I belonged around that table with them. The whole thing (which I have to skim over here out of repeated urges from TFA that we not reveal any part of the interview process) lasted a few hours. By the end I had to sort of believe that I did my best and that if I wasn't chosen that someone better suited would be. And if I really believed in the cause of TFA that I knew that it was for the best anyway. They have to choose who they feel can do the most good. Of course, I don't know if I was or was not chosen yet. I'll find out at the beginning of April. If I am, I'll be sent to what they call "Teacher Boot Camp" over the summer to train for my placement. But I don't want to think anymore about that yet.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That anxiety puking was horrible, but not as horrible as my almost getting us killed THIRTY times and our impromtu adventure into the ghetto. Who knew TFA would be so perilous?