Sunday, December 26, 2010

I can see a better time

I was leaving Panera with Alex. Flurries were whipping through my hair and my coat was raised behind me in a Snape-esqe fashion. I drove with my Mommom's leather gloved hand on the frozen wheel, a half-eaten apple hanging from my lips; in other words--I was a fucking God. Until, of course my car died in the driveway, my dad crankily hitting it with a hammer in every accessible crevice, stopping once to inform Alex and I that "this isn't funny!" And the my toes felt like lead inside my boots which weren't really boots, but just fabric that covers a curved cardboard frame inside the shoe. Then some other car related things happened. Like about fifteen fairys uncurled themselves from snowflakes and carried my car to heaven with them, where it honked one final loyal, yet world-weary, goodbye at me, some wiper fluid running down its dimming headlights. Me, holding my scarf over my own stony cheeks, staying strong for the both of us.

Eventually I was taken to the movies w/family & Alex. Despite my many protests, which made it feel like movie hostage taking. Alex supplied some tootsie pops and I negotiated popcorn, which I bitchily proceeded to eat the top layer of then set on the floor. I still had this flashlight in my coat pocket from the under-the-hood car-fixing that happened. It became increasingly hard not to shine it at the hair-gelled couple in front of me, gently resting their well-managed heads onto the other. Or to kick my pseudo-boot at them. I tried to coerce my brother to the task, but no takers. Oh, and I watched this movie.
TRUEEEE GRITTTTTT

Westerns. Remakes. Coen Brothers.
This movie was awesome. NO SPOILERS HERE. The little girl wants to avenge the death of her father and enlists Jeff Bridges & Matt Damon to help. There's lots of good ol fashioned debauchery and gunfights. Lessons are learned. Perhaps the best line is at the end when the girl, now a fully grown women of 50 tells us that she never married, never had time "to fool with it." The last line being something to the effect of, time moves quickly. Now I want to rewatch "No Country for Old Men" for the thousandth time.

No comments: