Friday, April 8, 2011

Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

So as promised I got THE (first) Tom Courtenay movie, "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner." It's certainly more cerebral than "Billy Liar." I mean LLDR is a lot of work. I see what appeals to people with movies such as...idk insert popular movie here...(I wanted to say INCEPTION but Inception is fucking confusing and not in an intellectual way, but in a basic plot breakdown way, also I don't want to insult JEN). You just WATCH IT and the movie takes care of the rest. Not these so-cooly named "kitchen sink dramas." True, I watched them because MORRISSEY likes them, but I wouldn't blindly praise something just because he likes it (ie New York Dolls) but it certainly doesn't hurt.

So the movie, it's painful to watch. It feels like someone is picking at your scabs. It's all anti-establishment in a way that isn't cheesy like Fight Club. It's poignant because it's subtle. Also, I get that "so when you want to live where do you go?" mood from the characters overall. Again, the main character doesn't get along with working-class parents, wants to break away but see's no way to do it at all. There's this Douglas Coupland quote that says there's a difference between being "glad" and being "happy." Which is important, because none of these characters are ever happy. Sometimes they're glad when they can escape on the bill of stolen money and drink and fuck around on moody beaches. The climax of the film is when the lead character amazes everyone by refusing to win a race when he's within inches of the finish line. This is a big screw you to anyone who represents the establishment. Except, it's deceptive--because I for one was like "CROSS IT!" even though I knew, of course he wouldn't, it's the whole point of the movie that he doesn't.

And would probably be disappointed with the ending if he did--how lame would that be? There's also some message in the film about atomic power/war, which I can't contextualize in the way I'm sure I'd need to to appreciate it.

Up next is "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning."

No comments: