I think of the word antiquated
but hold the knowledge under my foot to unstick it from my sole later
Emily's sister snorkels in the Gulf of Mexico
and she asks me who has all that snorkeling equipment just laying around their house
she also said, a week or so ago, that when she’s talking everyone is waiting for her take a breath so they can slip in at the pause, like slinking a foot in a slamming door
So I don’t tell her that they used to call snorkeling “skin diving” even though I think it's prettier and she probably would too
and I know I'll never have to worry about any unexpected visits from her just because
she needed to see me
and she’ll never have to ask for any clarification from me
Not every light through the blinds are her head lights
when she’s in Florida and I’m in here
And nothing will be said that can’t be fixed with a teaspoon of laughs
And no one will ask if I’m okay because I walk okay when our voices can bounce together off the walls
What is touching anyway but whittling down
What is my droopy eyed glance at her but a whitecap that sinks again when she’ll say that people never notice anything and of course I agree

No comments:
Post a Comment