Sunday, March 14, 2010

Share some greased tea with me

"A Separate Peace" quotes

It was only long after that I recognized sarcasm as the protest of people who are weak.

I was subject to the dictates of my mind, which gave me the maneuverability of a straight jacket.

I should have told him that he was my best friend also and rounded off what he had said. I started to; I nearly did. But something held me back. Perhaps I was stopped by that level fo feeling, deeper than thought, which contains the truth.

I said nothing, my mind exploring the new dimensions of isolation around me.

I cried for Phineas and for myself and for this doctor who believed in facing things. Most of all I cried because of kindess, which I had not expected.

You can't say anything for sure from just feelings.

I went south for a month's vacation in my home town and spent it in an atmosphere of reverie and unreality, as thought I had lived that month once already and had not been interested by it the first time either.

I began to know that each morning reasserted the problems of the night before, that sleep suspended all but changed nothing, that you couldn't make yourself over between dawn and dusk.

Sometimes you are too ashamed to leave.

I had the desolating sense of having all along ignored what was finest in him.

No comments: