Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I can't help quoting you because everything that you say rings true.

One thing that I don't understand about other people:
Why they go out into public to have long cellphone conversations (at restaruants, walking along the sidewalk, walking through stores, etc.)

Plausible rationale:

1. Insecurity. They want those around them to think that they're desirable and likable

2. Understandably. The person that they're talking to is notoriously hard to get ahold of, so they must have the conversation no matter where or when.

3. Ignorance. They think that those around them can't hear them so it's in no way obnoxious

4. Ego. They think they're terribly witty, so anyone who would overhear them would simply be amused...and dare I say, amazed by their provactive views.


I'm reading these short stories by Miranda July, whom I've fallen in love with. See..below.

I'm not all the way through the book, and I don't know if I can or my heart might burst in my chest. So in case it does, here are a few of the quotes that I've been mumbling creepily when I think no one is looking.


There was nothing in the world that was not a con, suddenly I understood this. Nothing really mattered, and nothing could be lost.


In truth, I had not yet learned how to hate anyone but my parents. I was actually just standing there in love. I was not even really standing; if she had walked away suddenly, I would have fallen.


This made her so angry that she did the dishes. We never did this unless we were trying to be grand and self-destructive.


It is terrible to have to ask for anything ever. We wish were were something that needed nothing, like paint.


I pressed my lips against his ear and whispered again, It's not your fault. Perhaps this was really the only thing I had ever wanted to say to anyone, and be told.


Or a long, laughing, rambling phone message in which every person this person ha s ever known is talking on speakerphone and they are all saying, You have passed the test, it was all just a test, we were only kidding, real life is so much better than that.

I had once believed in a precious inner self, but now I didn't. I had thought that I was fragile, but I wasn't.

No comments: