Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's All I ever Do

On the floor I listened for you
convinced that I was too drunk to lift my head to look
though it was mostly a thick laziness

you were a pair of sneakers and two fingers hovering momentarily under my nose
the things I'd thought of yesterday came back
placing me in a puddle of I think I've loved you all summer long, then your name, then a laugh that sounded more like a groan
you replied with a sharp request for a trashcan
and left
me with my head sagging into it

He found me
and I said I know you I know you
as he carried me into the bathroom and shut the door
bent me over the tub
& washed my hair with someone's mother's shampoo
I ate soap asking about you
he didn't know your name
though he had mopped it up with papertowels and Walmart bags

he kept me there
foaming at the mouth
and I wondered how many steps it would take for the two of us to walk to the moon as he finished

In the morning he walked me to the door as I stumbled brightly---gaudy with consciousness
he had drapped his shoulders in a comforter and had become rounded and soft like a well worn eraser

No comments: