"I hope you never love anything as much as I love you"
"So I went to my piano teacher. I always wanted to kiss him, but was afraid he would laugh at me."
"Does it break my heart, of course, every moment of every day, into more pieces than my heart was made of, I never thought of myself as quiet, much less silent, I never thought about things at all, everything changed, the distance that wedged itself between me and my happiness wasn't the world...it was me, my thinking, the cancer of never letting go, is ignorance bliss, I don't know, but it's so painful to think, and tell me, what did thinking ever do for me, to what great place did thinking ever bring me? I think and think and think, I thought myself out of happiness one million times, never never once into it."
"An ambulance drove down the street between us, and I imagined who it was carrying, and what happened to him. Did he break an ankle attempting a hard trick on his skateboard? Or maybe he was dying from third degree burns on ninety percent of his body? Was there any chance I knew him? Did anyone see the ambulance and wonder if it was me inside?"
"I'm sad." "About Dad?" "About everything." "..."What's everything?" I stated counting on my fingers: "The meat and dairy products in our refrigerator, fistfights, car accidents, domesticated animals, how I have a domesticated animal, nightmares, Microsoft Windows, old people who sit around all day because no one remembers to spend time with them and they're embarrassed to ask people to spend time with them, secrets, dial phones, how Chinese waitresses smile even when there's nothing funny or happy, mirrors, tape decks, Grandma's coupons, my unpopularity at school, bad handwriting, beautiful songs, how there won't be humans in fifty years..."
"In bed that night I invented a special drain that would be underneath every pillow in New York, and would connect to the reservoir. Whenever people cried themselves to sleep, the tears would all go to the same place, and in the morning the weatherman could report if the water level of the Reservoir of Tears had gone up or down, and you would know if New York was in heavy boots."


1 comment:
i love these quotes. your letter still hasn't come. i hope it didn't get lost in the mail. does that really happen? anyways, i found myself at this bar and the band wasn't good and the crowd wasn't either. so i was sipping my ic light and writing of all things. i think i a lot of people there don't even know how to write. anyways. i thought you'd enjoy that story. miss you. i'm calling you soon. maybe monday? i feel like monday is our talking day. <3
Post a Comment