Thursday, March 19, 2009

too much to think about

I had Whitney read over my poem for workshop that I need to post tomorrow. She had a bit of confusion and I think I've cleaned it up in this draft. I cut out the drug references to make the poem more concise. Still not sure about the past tense and the beginning. Thinking of cutting beginning and just having the entire poem take place in the diner. Not sure.







Still Untitled.

This morning I wake up alone
and do not think about you
but stretch my legs under the covers

I stand slowly and walk
palm to the wall
and wipe dizzy from my eyes
with too many aspirin

I smell home fries and coffee
in my hair
and remember you yesterday morning
at the diner
asking loudly across my eyes

are you done

but it was still my second refill
and the sugar had settled on the bottom

you left a tip and I did not look at it
and instead piled empty creamer containers
into pyramids

and you asked me am I done
as your thick eyelids
pressed down and placed your napkin
onto a pile of cold toast

I told you about my great aunt
who visited the Great Wall of China online
but never learned to send an email

And you looked at your watch
And told me that traffic is going to be bad soon

Now in the gray noon light
I count all the ways you
thin my blood
staring dull in the mirror
with stained teeth and too much to think about

No comments: