Thursday, May 14, 2009

I honestly think I'd give up smoking if he asked me

I'm reading "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and I absolutely love it. Despite the giant Audrey Hepburn poster above my bed, I've never seen the movie. But whatever, I'm in love with Capote's writing and I just need to share all the quotes I like haha. I may be a huge dork.

I'm not very far into it at all because it's one of those books that you need to read super slow to appreciate the way it's written.

Anyway I'm enjoying it tons more than I was Oscar Wilde. So maybe Truman Capote is on my side. One dead queer is as good as the next?


"I began to feel toward her certain far-fetched resentments, as if I were being neglected by my closest friend. A disquieting loneliness came into my life, but it induced no hunger for friends of longer acquaintance: they seemed now like a salt-free, sugarless diet.

"She looked at me blankly, and rubbed her nose, as though it tickled: a gesture, seeing often repeated, I came to recognize as a signal that one was trespassing. Like many people with a bold fondness for volunteering intimate information, anything that suggested a directed question, a pinning-down, put her on guard"

"I'll never get used to anything. Anybody that does, they might as well be dead"

"Of course people couldn't help but think I must be a bit of a dyke myself. And of course I am. Everyone is: a bit. So what? That never discouraged a man yet."

1 comment:

Elisabeth W. Rauch said...

i get super into quotes of whatever i'm reading too. though i'm finding very little from virginia woolf. i'll have to share some of my favorites from other books!