Monday, May 11, 2009

organ recovery. new poem in progress.

Organ Recovery

The DMV worker frowned
when I clicked 'no' on the touch screen
organ donor
or she blinked and looked at the clock
still she knows I chose the smile
where I didn't show my teeth

The man with a hunting license hanging from his hat
under the decorated cross on the wall
watched me wait for a table
his wrinkled sneer at me
tasted like cigarettes--tasted like he knows

The old Italian woman in the bistro
I ask for a job application
looked up from under her bangs
and tells me to come back tomorrow
but she watches me too tightly
as my fingers curl in my palms
the swinging chime of the door
tells me tomorrow she will know

My grandmother tells me
across the dining room table
you surprise me
My grandmother tells me
in my ear as we hug
Think about what I said

No comments: